Stephen T. Smith
Steve Smith focuses his practice on the representation of companies and individuals in matters involving antitrust, government regulation, civil litigation, business-related criminal investigations and litigation and conflict resolution. He has significant experience in pre-litigation negotiation and resolution and civil and criminal trials.
Mr. Smith was admitted to bar in 1973 and to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1976. He graduated with honors from the Law School of the University of North Carolina where he was a member of The North Carolina Law Review, the academic honor society of the law school. His professional, civic and volunteer work and distinctions include:
- Top 100 Lawyers in N.C., 2010, N.C. Superlawyers listing
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America
- Business North Carolina magazine’s top criminal lawyer, 2009
- Legal Hall of Fame and Legal Elite listings for Criminal Defense, Business North Carolina magazine
- 2013 Recipient of the Wake County Bar Association's Joseph Branch Professionalism Award, the Wake Bar's highest honor.
- N.C. Environmental Management Commission, Chairman 2008 - 2013; Member 2005 - 2013
- 2013 Recipient of the Tar-Pamlico River Foundation's Great Blue Herron Award for "outstanding contributions to the protection of environmental quality in the Tar-Pamlico watershed."
- 2002 Special Master appointed by Governor to mediate conflict between the N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources, N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission, County of Currituck, NCDOT, State Historic Preservation Office, Outer Banks Conservationist, Inc., Coastal Resources Advisory Council, Whalehead Preservation Trust and the State Property Office. Consensus resolution reached and implemented.
- President, Wake County Bar Association and 10th Judicial District Bar, 1992
- N.C. State Bar Disciplinary Hearing Commission, 1990–1996
- N.C. Council of Churches, Interim Executive Director, 2006; staff 2003-2006
- U.S. Army, active duty 1969–1971, honorable discharge with rank of Sgt. (E-5)